Friday, November 22, 2013

Astell & Kern AK100 Digital Audio Player (DAP) Review

Astell & Kern AK100 Digital Audio Player (DAP)

My first digital audio player was a Sony MD (MZ-R55) (mini disc - for those who don't know) player, followed by another MD player from Sony (MZ-N10), a magnesium alloy 10 year anniversary edition with Li-ion rechargeable battery and MDLP support (simply low quality compressed ATRAC3 support). I subsequently switched to Apple iPod mini (1st Gen) since I couldn't afford the full size iPod. Little do I know at that time apple actually did use high grade Wolfson DACs in their iPods (except for the minis). Apple no longer utilizes Wolfson DACs for their iPods after the 5.5 generation. Well, I did purchase a iPod Touch (1st generation) after the iPod mini. When I got my first iPhone (3GS, followed by 4S), I no longer use an iPod since the iPhone could functionally replace the dedicated music player.

The AK100 comes with a 5 song MQS sample which allows you to savior the taste right out of the box (not to worry, the AK100 is charged!)

A few months back, it came to my realization that I needed some dedicated audio player to better utilize my IEMs (currently a UE Tripple.Fi 10 and Etymotic ER-4s) and the headphone amplifier I purchased while I was still enthuthestic about high quality audio (currently a TTVJ Millet Hybrid Tube). I went to order a pair of CIEMs (JH Audio's Roxanne), without hesistation, after a short audition session with the JH16 Pro. Together with the purchase, I also picked up a GoVibe Vulcan+ solid state headphone amplifier and the Astell & Kern AK100 DAP. I shall write about the GoVibe Vulcan+ and Roxannes elsewhere when I have the time.

The AK100 accepts two uSD cards (micro SD) as expandable storage, with support up to 32GB per card (at firmware 2.30).

The Player

Main difference between AK100 and AK120 on paper was (to me) only lower output impedance and double Wolfson DAC for the AK120. The use of Wolfson DACs were a selling point for these two iriver audio players. I decided to go for the AK100 since I double I would be able to hear any significant difference that could justify almost double the price of the AK120 (SGD14xx). As such, I've got the silver edition of the AK100 player, not because I wanted silver but just so happen that it was the last available unit at the time I decided to purchase. Part of the decision was because there was no AK120 available for audition at the moment of purchase or perhaps I was just too reluctant to ask and spend twice the amount for what I did for AK100.

You may wish to purchase Astell & Kern MQS Selections, in micro SD format - ready for the AK100!

The player plays almost all audio formats you can throw in with the current firmware version (v2.30). File transfer from computer to player was as easy as copying from one hard disk to another external drive. The latest firmware version also allows you to use the DAP as a USB DAC, which I find it particularly useful especially I do not own a USB DAC and I can easily connect the AK100 as DAC to a headphone amplifier to play high quality audio files from a computer system.

If switched on, when connected to computer, the player would ask if it were to switch to the following mode of operation: (1) Charge Battery Only, (2) USB DAC, (3) Connect as a disk.

The AK100 would automatically scan (by default setting) to scan for digital media files in its uSD card and the internal 32GB memory every time a file transfer process was done. The scanning may take up to a minute or two depending on the number of files saved in the memory and / or the uSD card. The waiting time is sometimes rather irritating but once it has done the scan, it would not be required to do another scan when you reboot the AK100 unless some new media is written on the memory again.

The player interface needs some work to be done. But I have seen good improvements from firmware 1.20 to firmware 2.30, hopefully it doesn't end here.

Build Quality

The player build quality is solid. The whole unit chassis seemed to be machined out from a sold piece of aluminum. Generally, the built and construction - the choice of materials chosen, is definitely better than current iPods.

Package

The retail box with magnetic flaps secured by a sleeve contains the following items:
  • Astell & Kern AK100 Digital Audio Player
  • Pouch for AK100 (Cloth)
  • USB Connection cable
  • MQS (Master Quality Sound) sample uSD card (5 tracks)
  • Warranty card
Sound Quality and Impression
One of the highlights of the AK100 is its ability to play 24Bit 96Hz files. Apple devices generally are stuck at 16Bit 44.1Hz files (apple lossless). Another thing that I noticed the first time I used the AK100 on an IEM was how clear the background was. It was the most noiseless player I had tried to date. The MQS sample files provided gave an indication of how this player can perform.
One characteristic the AK100 gave to its music is cold and technical. The music from the player lacks warmth. Perhaps the coldness gave it more resolution. But what came out seems analytical enough with no colorations, maybe it could be described as lean. Good battery life in normal day to day commuting (public transport) usage. I estimate the built-in internal battery life would easily surpass 12 hours continuous usage with the official specifications stating 16 hours battery life. Interestingly, for such a small audio player, the AK100 has a built-in amp powerful to drive Etymotic's ER4S to relatively loud levels, enough to damage your hearing (the Etymotic ER4S has an impedance of 75ohms, relatively high for an IEM).

Overall
The overall impression I have from this unit so far was enjoyable since I'm currently pairing with TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid Amp or GoVibe Vulcan+ amps to slightly color the sound to my liking according to my mood.

Pictures courtesy of Keefe and his (now sold and upgraded to Sony A7R) Olympus OMD EM1 with Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro m4/3 lens.

-Richard (22/Nov/2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment